The program gives participants an opportunity to learn, hands on, all of the necessary skills to work in the field of industrial sewing.
Additionally, the participants engage in a wide variety of information sessions and workshops, cultural activities and social outings. The goal of the program is to provide real world experience and solid training, while allowing the participants the occasion to better understand and acclimatize to their new surroundings.
Training programme content
- Overlock and Plain machines, the two most used machines in Quebec sewing factories.
- Additional machines for advanced participants include; Automatic, D/S, Split/N, Elastic, Buttonhole, W/F, Tracking, Zig Zag and Coverstitch.
- Finishing and quality control.
- Workshops and training sessions covering everything from working conditions and norms within the Quebec context, CV writing and job searching to navigating the educational system and how to vote
- Job search and placement services.
- Personalized learning plans, professional support and individual follow-up.
- Permanent resident or citizen.
- Between 18 and 55 years of age (some exceptions are possible).
- Be without income or receiving social assistance.
- Must be prepared to engage in an intensive 6 month training process and to enter the job market immediately upon completion of the program.
- All aspects of the training are in French, so participants must have a functional base in French.
- The program is 26 weeks.
- Monday to Friday, from 8 am until 4 pm, for a total of 35 hours per week.
- The salary is minimum wage.